10.17.2010

diy | kraft paper sketch pad

A chalkboard wall, despite my love for them, has a few drawbacks:

1. It's messy - I've always had to wash it down 3-4 times before it's clean
2. Can't use colour.  Except for pastels.  I don't do pastels.
3. It involves dark paint - which I wasn't willing to do in my apartment.  Although Hudson Paints [see here and here] supply really great colours, the ones that really work and don't stain [they'll tell you this] are the darker colours.

So while perusing my local Dollarama - yes, I'm there several times a week - I came across my go-to wrapping paper of choice - kraft paper - and a light bulb went off.  So, I scooped up four rolls [they're only $1 for a 12' roll, so go ahead and splurge] and a pack of binder clips [another $1] and headed home.

I pulled out an old curtain rod I had lying around, a couple of push pins, threaded two rolls of kraft paper on the rod, attached the binder clips to the rod and hung them from the pins.   I rolled out the paper and prevented the rolls from unwinding by clipping on a paperclip [which is hidden at the back].  Presto! Voila!  A wall I can write on.  I also tied a piece of chalk to the rod with some charcoal yarn so you don't need to search for something to write with.  What's great about the kraft paper - you can use chalk, crayons [yes, I own a full 64 pack of crayons], pencils, markers - it's recycled material - when you're done, just tear off the used piece and roll out a fresh section - and it's only $1 for a 12' roll.



Why binder clips and push pins you may ask?  Because it keeps the paper tight to the wall - a regular bracket for the curtain rod would push it several inches off the wall which doesn't work very well for writing..  Alternatively you can use pegs and ribbons, but I like the look of the binder clips and push pins.  Again - have fun with it.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. I've had a crush on chalkboard walls for so long, but I hate chalk. This idea captures everything that's fun about those walls. Really brilliant, Sarah. I'm going to have to share this one and give you all the credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of kraft paper also. It is my go to paper for just about everything. What you did is so clever and fun, plus a great way to decorate an empty wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little sketches. I think if I could draw like that I would consider hanging some paper too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I homeschool and I can see SO MANY OPTIONS with this one idea!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so gorgeous. Wish I could draw and colour that well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12.11.10

    I was thinking of putting up a metal sheet on my wall like this, but this is even easier! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...