1.09.2011

arson

In the early morning hours of January 7th,  in a senseless and horrific act of arson, my grandparents' old farmhouse was destroyed.  The childhood home of my father and the home I hoped to one day inhabit was set on fire by intruders and left to burn.


I questioned whether or not to post this.  It's difficult to look at the pictures, at what has been lost physically and emotionally.  And it is devastating to consider my father and the fact that he had to watch as the home he grew up in went up in flames, desperate yet helpless to change the outcome of the situation.  However, this blog is and always has been a reflection of the events in my life, good and bad, and an outlet for me to express my feelings, which currently are a mix of grief, sympathy,  incomprehension, anger and vengeance.




Following my grandmother's passing in 2009, I had expressed what this house meant to me and to my family. As we sifted through the ashes today to salvage what we could,  I realized that this chapter, the farmhouse and the life of my grandparents', has been closed, despite the fact it was not written the way we intended.   We are very lucky that it was only a house, that no one was injured and despite what was lost, there are many things that we saved and took away prior to the fire.  And we are very lucky that we have had opportunities to learn from the contents of the house, of a simpler forgotten era and the lives my grandparents led.


Arson is a horrific crime and I can not imagine the type of individual who can knowingly do something like this.  I can only believe that karma will one day run it's course.

36 comments:

  1. I read this with my mouth hanging open in shock. It's too horrible. May the good memories outweigh the images of the fire. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah... I'm so very sorry! What a horrible thing to happen to your family!! I pray that my simple words of condolence are enough to help ease the pain just a little.
    You and your family are in my thoughts!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no...how can someone do something like this...so sorry...hang onto those good memories. Don't worry karma will indeed run its course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9.1.11

    So sorry for your loss. They can not take aware your memories.
    It's probably too early to think about this but maybe you can still have a house there. A phoenix that rises from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Sarah, I am so so sorry for you and your family. This is terrible. I have no words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I'm so sorry. We do attach significance and memories to places and to see such a place destroyed is heart breaking. I'm so glad no one was hurt. I just can't imagine who would be so cruel; it's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was devastating to read. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I hope that this only makes your family stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9.1.11

    I'm so sorry, that must be devastating. Thank goodness no one was hurt and you had taken some more precious items out previously. But still that must be a huge blow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sarah - how horrible and cruel. I am so sorry you and your family had to endure that. Your photos spoke volumes. I hope the arsonist is caught.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading your posts about the house - I am so sorry. I can't imagine dealing with that. Honestly cannot believe how people can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos have left me lost for words. I am so sorry to hear of your sad news.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to read this Sarah. What a terrible thing to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear this Sarah. Oh, what wonderful memories you must have of the home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a senseless and stupid thing to do. I'm so sorry for your loss Sarah. Our homes are so wrapped up with the memories and events of our lives that losing something like this can feel so painful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aunt Irene10.1.11

    Sarah... It was very hard to look at these pictures and realize that the home that your Dad and I grow up in is now gone. I felt that even though our parents were gone that we still basically had a home left even though no one living there right now. Through these peoples thoughtless actions and wrongdoings they have violated and stolen from us as a family. This was so senseless.....but we can also be thankful that there was no one living in the house to be hurt. However they can't take away the memories even though this is hard to see and even harder for your Dad as he had to watch and has to see this every day until it comes down and then there will a big hole left....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry, Sarah. These photos are heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristine11.1.11

    Sarah...Looking at your pictures took me back to the many hours I spent playing as a child in the house with your Dad and Aunt Irene. We always have a special place in our hearts for the memories of our childhood and youth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tricia11.1.11

    Sarah, I'm so sorry - I know how much this place meant to you. The good memories will be with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh so sorry, it is truly heartbreaking that someone would do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a terrible thing for someone to do - thinking of you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is absolutely horrible - i'm so sorry. hugs -

    ReplyDelete
  22. Julie Payne16.1.11

    Wow. This is horrible. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of the old farm house. I hope you're all doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How heartbreaking to see this, especially when it meant so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so terribly sorry to see this. I'm not sure what kind of moron enjoys carrying out such a horrible and senseless act. And believe me, I have some stories on how Karma catches up with people in strange ways. Again sorry and sending love and hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not sure how I got here this morning, but this is horrific yes...how tragic for your father to witness and for your family to see -

    we experienced something similar with our beloved old historic barn in '07...our farm isn't the same...we had suspected arson, but can never confirm it because the whole barn burned to the ground - no evidence if you will -

    I'm so sorry about this for you - I know how you must feel....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so very sorry, this must be devastating. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These photos are devastating and beautiful. You've captured bits and pieces of the life left over so well that it's heart-breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so sorry to hear about this sad and horrific news. Just know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Sarah, I'm spanish people and my english is bad, but I understand some words and look your images and I'm feel sad for you. I will like send you my best wishes.

    Lusi

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so sorry for your family. What an awful thing to happen. I hope you are able to rebuild!!

    ~Blessings,

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  31. Incomprehensible. I am so very sorry. You're all in my prayers.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness- I just linked over because of your amazing floor mat and then scrolled down to this horrible news- So so sorry- thinking of you and your family:(

    ReplyDelete
  33. I came across this from a link on OHDEEOH about your painted rug. I have to say your post struck me to tears. My own Grandfathers house was a victim of arson 6 years ago. Mostly storage from our grandparents on both sides of the family and my sister and brother in law were using the house as an office when a disgruntled employee burned it down. Material objects lost fortunately no people harmed but to this day we ask whatever happened to …. And realize where it was lost. Fire is the worst. It’s not an easy thing to deal with. My thoughts are with you so sorry your going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so sorry, kiddo, what an awful, awful thing to happen. I know some of what you're feeling and my heart goes out to you. I am so glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a horrific act! But what achingly beautiful pictures you took.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...