11.15.2010

a more modern christmas

Last week, I put up my Christmas tree.  Instantly, I wasn't happy with it.  Two reasons:

1. It was fake. 
2. It wasn't modern enough

Friday I posted a few modern options that are available on the market, but you know me, I like to DIY.  So, that's what we did this weekend.  With a few lengths of hardwood dowel, a drill, a saw and some stain, my Christmas went from this to this.


You can see in these photos how the tree is made, I crisscrossed the dowels every 8", the tree is 64" tall and is secured in a rectangular vase filled with rocks which I wrapped with some remnant fabric and green yarn.  I decorated with a single string of 100 lights [there are no branches and needles to block the light] and an assortment of baubles in traditional Christmas colours, red, green, white, clear and black.  There are a few mirrored starbursts and some old miniature wooden ornaments.  Really happy with the end result.  It looks great during the day, even unlit, and fantastic at night.  And it's definitely more modern and more me.  And maybe a little Charlie Brown.  Best of all, it sets up in no time and stores away easily without taking up any space.







5 comments:

  1. Your DIY christmas tree rocks. It looks fantastic..loving the black ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fab in your space!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous16.11.10

    Amazing job. I'm not always a big "modern" person. But this is cute and simple and has a homespun touch. It looks great.

    I just brought my Christmas ornaments to the condo and I'm so excited to put up my very own tree for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really like it! i also like the simple decorations, i tend to go overboard with my ornaments and put every single ornament ever on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Googling artificial Christmas trees that aren't kitsch, plastic or both, I stumbled across yours and have just asked the local carpenter for a copy! Thank you so much for posting it!

    Anna from Switzerland

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...