10.26.2010

sneak peek | diy painted rug

You probably didn't realize it, but the area rug in my bedroom is a painted sisal rug.  Originally, the area rug was a black and natural weave [see here] but it was getting stained and worn, so I painted it. [*Disclaimer - I paint everything.  I've painted shower tiles, kitchen countertops, bathtubs, sinks, just about everything but a toilet has been painted by me. It's kind of a joke amongst my friends and family, paint is my best friend.  Hey I rented for 10 years, you have to be crafty in run down rentals.  It should also be noted that I made good money in college freelancing as a muralist where I painted walls, trim, ceilings, siding, light switches to look like golf courses, old world maps, sky, secret gardens, unicorns....I think you get it, I'm not afraid to paint anything.] Anyways, I painted the sisal a solid colour until I was inspired to do something else with it - a pattern, colour, colours - I hadn't decided yet.  Until today.  Inspired by this rug from Anthropologie....


I did this.


Now the light is horrible and quite frankly I was too tired to properly style the shots and paint is still drying so this is all you get.  For now.  Better photos and a how-to to follow.

And yes, I am that crazy to tackle a project like this after work.  On a Monday.  I'm impatient.  Sue me. 

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous26.10.10

    Wow! You just whipped that up on a Monday night? Did you draw the pattern first or freestyle it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this is so impressive! What a brilliant idea for a project! And you're doing it after work on a Monday? All I can say is wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Maggie - yes - I did it freestyle. I actually paint better than I draw but I'd recommend drawings in chalk if you're going to tranfer the pattern before painting. Chalk will wipe away better then pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous26.10.10

    Great job Sarah! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah! Wow!! This is incredible!

    I can't believe you did this all on a Monday. After work. Amazing work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11.11.10

    What kind of paint did you use? How does it feel underfoot? I've been looking for a rug for my daughters bedroom and nothing I like is in my price range.

    What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - if you go to the link for the final rug I've listed out the process and the paints I've used both for the base colour and the pattern.

    http://baltares.blogspot.com/2010/11/diy-painted-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I stumbled onto your blog from a reblog of a reblog of this project of yours and it was so worth the trail! My husband and I are living in South Korea for a couple years teaching english as a means of traveling and new experiences. We of course couldn't take anything but books, clothes, and a few other choice things from home. It's also hard to justify spending too much on our apt as we won't be here more than another year or so. We've turned to upcycling and DIYs instead. (just finished making cardbard triangle painted tiles for the wall this weekend!)

    Painting a rug is genius! We have a bamboo rug that's got a canvas back. Any ideas on what kind of paint might work best on it? How about sealing it? It doesn't have to last forever, like i said. Thanks for the inspiration!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ashley, I posted the DIY instructions (follow the link above in comment #7) on another post. I think these instructions will work on the bamboo rug. You can always prime and repaint if it doesn't wear properly. Interested to find out more about the cardboard tiles, I've never heard of that before.

    Glad you found my blog all the way from South Korea. Happy DIY'ing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh. my. goodness.

    i must do this to my too plain worn out wool rug in our living room. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous31.1.11

    cool

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous31.1.11

    that is so cool. did you really do it after work on a monday? that is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love!! Amazing that you did that Monday after work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did this hold up? I am considering painting a bamboo rug for our playroom, but I don't want it to flake and make a huge mess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! Love, love! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous18.6.12

    Sarah
    I have just had a sisal installed, wall to wall in my bedroom and I hate the color. Do you think I could paint it? I am not looking for a design, just a color I can live with. Painting seems a better and more economical option than ripping it out, especially since it was glued down. Any suggestions as to the type of paint or is what you used suitable?
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...